Eucalyptus Camaldulensis and Iron Mordant
For info on collecting the barks and leaves check out my Red Gum pages.
I had a feeling the leaves might be a dull dye so I saved the dye baths of both the bark and leaves and mixed them together. I added linen to the cool dye bath and then mixed in some homemade iron mordant. I let this soak for about an hour just to be sure some colour would attach!
My iron mordant recipe is:
- Rusty nails
- 1 cup of Vinegar
- 2 cups Water
- Glass jar
Mix em all together and chuck them in the jar. Place the lid on top, don't screw because she gets bubbly and you don't want an explosion. I left mine for a week before I used it the first time. When I use a lot I add more water or vinegar or both. I have been using the same batch for three months now just by topping her up and keeping her sealed in a cool, dark place.
Pre-wash the fabric was a greyish purple. Maybe even a bit pink. Post-wash she is a gentle purple/pink and I am in love.
Also! I used both linen and cotton calico for this just to see if the colour would change drastically. Stoked with the outcome.